As the New Year approaches, you find yourself thinking about changes you would like to make in your life….some that always come to mind are losing weight, getting in shape, daily devotionals, or whatever your situation involves.
May we suggest, if you are between the ages of 62 to 70, and have not taken your Social Security benefit, that you get that part of your life in order. What difference does that make? It can literally make a huge difference, from a monetary standpoint, regarding the quality of retirement you will experience.
When you are getting your tax receipts in order for your accountant, go online and register for your latest Social Security report (www.ssa.gov). It takes about 10 minutes of your time and there are things on that statement that should be reviewed each and every year. Mistakes are made and we have seen them. Compare your report with your W-2 form to make sure that your work history and reported earnings are accurate. It is very difficult to correct an error that was made in the past. These numbers make up the 35 years earnings history that your Social Security benefit is calculated from.
If an error is made on your tax return, it can be amended. A mistake in filing for your Social Security benefit is basically permanent. So why would you not have this benefit professionally reviewed as well? An online calculator does not take into consideration your desires for retirement, your health issues, your combined benefit with your spouse and what claiming strategies can improve your income stream, whether or not you want to continue working, and the list goes on.
Pillars, LLC, has a 5 step process for this review which includes the following:
- Fact finding – after you fill out our application form, we call to verify the numbers and get to know you and your circumstances. What are your goals? Your future work plans? Your health status? Retirement lifestyle expectations? Current tax bracket? Your expected life expectancy?
- Education – we share with your through our knowledge of the 2,728 rules and regulations what possible options are available to you.
- Research and Analysis – we enter your information into our “best in the industry” software and look for options. This is quite a process, because you actually have hundreds of options not just the three listed on your Social Security report. We also work diligently to improve upon the Survivor Benefit in all cases. We determine the breakeven point and analyze whether or not collecting the Delayed Retirement Credits will benefit your situation.
- Report presentation and discussions – next we meet with you (and your spouse when applicable) and review the report. We share all options and answer all questions for clarity of the report.
- The Pillars, LLC Guarantee – for a full year after the report is completed, we will answer any questions you may have, and if your situation changes, we will run another report at no additional cost. You will be added to our database for updates in the Social Security laws.
Sounds like a winner to me as a New Year Resolution. Our webpage is being updated to include all new information based on the new law changes, effective November 2, 2015. A seminar is being held on February 2, 2016 at the Brandon Public Library for those interested in attending. Reservations are required as seating is limited. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 601-954-0699 to reserve a seat.