DID YOU KNOW?
- You need to file online with www.ssa.gov to set up an online account. You will then be able to print out your latest reports.
- Copy these reports and compare them with your W-2 statements for identification of mistakes.
- These benefits are an estimate based on the fact that you will be earning about the same amount of income until your Full Retirement Age.
- The listed amounts do not reflect any COLA (cost of living adjustments), so will be slightly understated.
- These statements do not reflect any claiming strategies that can maximize your benefit amount.
- These statements do not reflect any reductions in benefit for Federal pensions or public pensions.
ELIGIBILITY FOR SOCIAL SECURITY
- 40 credits are needed to qualify – averages out to 10 years of part-time work.
- Each credit is worth $1300 income.(2017)
- You can earn a maximum of 4 credits per year.
- Your benefit is based on the top 35 years of earnings.
- You must either visit a local office to file for benefits, or file online – they will not contact you.